WORDS: Lauren DeGaine
PHOTOGRAPHY: Wax Media
The Shambhala vibes were strong at Sapphire Nightclub in Kelowna for the very first Shambhala Warm-up party of the summer. Presented and produced by local powerhouse event team Footwerk Events; the lineup included JPOD, Adham Shaikh, Dubconscious, Neighbour and JGirl & Manousos to kick off this series of warm-up parties that happens across Canada and the US.
You can always tell when it’s a Shambhala party because the atmosphere is just a little different than regular club nights. People are smiling bigger and dressed wilder. Conversations with strangers always involve the quintessential question, “Are you going to Shambhala!?”
Keep reading for 5 more of the most memorable moments of the evening.
- When JPOD dropped “I Can’t Help Myself (Sugar Pie Honey Bunch)” and everyone sang along. Or for that matter, his entire set! Known for mixing up classics, it was no exception, and he served up a bevy of beats you couldn’t help but wiggle to.
- The 2 stages were decorated to look like Fractal Forest and The Grove!!! In an awesome homage to Shambhala, Sapphire had decorated the main stage with mini geometric towers that pulsed with colorful light and white suns dangling from the ceiling. The second room had colorful flowers and foliage and a live artist, reminiscent of the interactive installations in the forest behind the Grove.
- Dubconscious’ set! In my opinion the set of the evening. As the room filled up, Dubconscious seemed to feed off the crowd, delivering a high energy performance that everyone got down to.
- Stickybuds showing up just to party! That’s right Tyler, we saw you 😉 After seeing Jpod and Sticky perform together, and knowing how much they both love Sham, it’s not surprising that he was there to enjoy the show with the rest of the fans 🙂
- Strangers coming to check on you! This move is classic Shambhala. After the house lights had come on, i was waiting for my man next to the dancefloor. Standing by myself and, I imagine, looking disheveled and sleepy, a girl bee-lined it to me from across the room to make sure I was okay. Be warned: at Shambhala we take care of each other!!!!
To find a warm up party in your area, head to the Shambhala Music Festival Facebook Page and get your fix before the main event!!!